theinsomniacreader

The Insomniac Reader

Books and snarky commentary inspired by insomnia induced reading marathons.

SPOILER ALERT!

Tristis Manor (The Never Chronicles, #1.5)

Tristis Manor - J.R. Wagner

*I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

Full disclosure: I know absolutely nothing about this series. When I requested this book on Netgalley, I obviously was not paying very close attention. My fault for always searching Netgalley at ungodly hours.

So, I chose to just read this as if it were a stand alone short story by a writer. As a short story, it is very well written and engaging. A warning to those with triggers, the story deals with elements like child abuse and rape. I'm going to assume the rest of the series is like that, but I'm just mentioning that in case other people are clueless like I was. Other elements it deals with is integrity, family secrets, greed, the limits of home and family set for women in history, and social status. It's all very interesting. Upcoming spoilers--->

The story ends with the reader asking a lot of questions. When Margaret's father kills his wife after he found out she allowed a pedophile into her home so that she can have an affair with him and have his child (While telling her husband the baby is his.) to have a taste the social status she misses. Margaret's father was always seen as the good guy. Though when he finds out Margaret's sister is not his daughter, he doesn't feel the same way about her as he does before. Also, murdering his wife puts his remaining family in an unstable situation and breaks up the family. Her father comes to terms with what he did and sends his daughters to a friend while he faces the consequences of his actions. While Margaret is fine with him killing her mother, I have to wonder if it was really done for any sense of justice, or for his daughter and was a selfish act he did for himself. It's an interesting study of how people deal with justice, anger, and how "selfless" people actually are being when they try to "make things right."

Margaret's mother is a woman who loves status so much that she is willing to endanger the life of her daughter so that she can continue to enjoy that status. She is evil in every way for this and there is nothing to redeem her from that. But you also can't help but wonder if her life would have been different if her gender didn't limit her life to marriage and family. I'm sure she would have still been a terrible human being, but would she have resorted to that level of evil if she had more of the opportunities that women have today? Or would she have been even more evil? Power wields people after all.

After reading this in between series short story, I actually think I will read the series from the beginning one day. I find that it's more difficult to hold a reader's attention in shorter works than in longer ones, and the writer does a very good job at keeping the reader's attention.