theinsomniacreader

The Insomniac Reader

Books and snarky commentary inspired by insomnia induced reading marathons.

SPOILER ALERT!

The World of Divergent: The Path to Allegiant

The World of Divergent: The Path to Allegiant - Veronica Roth

I will mention in advance before anything spoler-ey comes up.

I debated whether or not to consider this a "book" book because it's really more of a fun fan thing explaining the different factions, where some of the author's inspiration came from, a fun little quiz to see which faction best suits you, and a sneak peak of Allegiant. But I think it's worth mentioning that the writer did a good job explaining the how and why she chose the faction names, and the manifestos were interesting (especially the parts of the manifestos that were removed over time). It gives the reader an interesting look into the origins of the series. It's a free download and worth looking into for any fan of the Divergent series.

Some things that I think is worth mentioning:

"Name changing is also interesting from a religious perspective. In the Torah, when a biblical figure has an encounter with God, sometimes he or she is given a new name. Abram to Abraham, for example. Jacob to Israel. Sarai to Sarah. Same thing in the Bible-Saul becomes Paul; Simon becomes Peter. This usually signals the beginning of some kind of transformation or indicates that a transformation or indicates that a transformation has already taken place."

When I read the second book, I began to wonder if the series had certain religious undertones to it. I can't tell if that's intentional or not, and I can't tell if I'm wrong or not. So maybe this is a hint of some kind or maybe it isn't. What is more frustrating to me is that I did not review Insurgent so I can't remember clearly what parts seemed to hint at religion or spirituality to me. I just thought it was interesting.

She mentions the factions, why she chose the words she chose to name the factions, and also gives detailed faction manifestos. I'm going to say that I'm pretty sure the manifestos were not mentioned in detail in the books so for anyone who does not want to have that ruined for them, for whatever reason, stop reading right...about...now.

From the Abnegation Faction Manifesto:

"Therefore I choose to turn away

From my reflection,

To rely not on myself

But on my brothers and sisters,

To project always outward

Until I disappear*

(*Some members add a final line: 'And only God remains.' That is at the discretion of each member, and is not compulsory.)'"

So perhaps the Abnegation faction is the part with the religious undertones? Maybe this is the author's view of what religion and spirituality is for her? Maybe I'm talking nonsense?

From the Amity Faction Manifesto:

"(The following section was part of the original manifesto, but was later removed.)

Involvement

One Friend says to Another: "Friend, today I fought with my enemy."

The Other Friend says: "Why did you fight with your enemy?

"Because they were about to hurt you."

"Friend, why did you defend me?"

"Because I love you."

"Then I am grateful."

It was an interesting mention that this part was removed from the Amity manifesto. Perhaps as a faction devoted to peace, Involvement would lead to discord and therefore did not count as a "conversation of peace." And it helps reflect on how extreme the factions had become when they were already single minded from the start, especially as tensions started.